cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Patterning Feedback -Timescales/Periodicity

inline

> On Oct 26, 2016, at 3:27 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com> wrote:
>
> Eric Burger wrote this message on Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 14:55 -0400:
>> Proposal is that any time specification be in seconds with arbitrary precision and specification. Specification can be integer, floating point, or floating point scientific notation. Depending on the use of the, feel free to truncate or say “Sorry Dave, I cannot do that.” I.e., if I am sending you a CYBOX thingy saying the time between event A and event B is 3.44E-6 seconds, but you cannot distinguish anything less than microseconds, feel free to truncate to 3.0E-6. Or, if I am sending you a STIX thingy that says “look for an event that occurs precisely 7.64773828432385745010105868734202934508245094345845098 seconds, but you can only distinguish microseconds, we need to decide whether you need to be able to signal to the sender that you cannot accept that value, because it is way more than your precision, or you can silently truncate the value to the precision you care about.
>
> I'll point out that the current specifications for that value does not
> require it to be an integer.

Nor do we want it to be.

> As to why it's human readable, is that humans are writing this, and it'll
> be a while before we have fancy UI's for writing patterns.

If that is the case, let’s go home. We are wasting our time. If humans are reading and writing it for human consumption in human timescales, the only thing we need to agree on is “use English” if you want international exchange (or pick some other Lingua Franca) and “use whatever you want” in a closed user group.

The whole *POINT* of the CTI effort is for machine digested and machine used interoperability. If the concern is there are no tools for it, I’m sure some university out there could be building open source tools, if the community wants it. [hint]

> IMO, the current specification is fine, maybe with the explicit addition
> that the x value may be a floating point.
>
> I'm not sure everyone will know that the number of seconds in a year is
> 31536000.  (I had to calculate it myself.)

Thing one: you calculated it yourself rather quickly.
Thing two: feel free to say “1 year” to your tool. It will accurately calculate it as 31,536,000; 31,622,400; 31,557,600; or even know when to insert a leap second (yes, there are those, too, which are different than leap years). In fact, 31,557,600 might be seen as more accurate, as what is a year, anyway?