cti message

Subject: RE: [cti] RE: Patterning Operators - CONTAINS

Comments inline.

How is IN not (semantically) equivalent to a set operation, assuming we are talking about finite sets (even large finite sets like a /8 netblock)?

> This means that we cannot repurpose IN w/o having confusing change of
> behavior of the IN operator.  As Jason pointed out, Oracle uses a new
> operator to handle IP subset identification.

I'm fine with having a special operator for IP subnet containment; I just don't think it should be a generic "subset" operator, at least until we identify more use cases for it. Re-using IN has its pros and cons, and subnet containment is a special case either way.

> The first standard use for this is black lists.  Is this IP part of a C&C network.
>
> The second are things like, does the interface of this machine have this IP on
> it's local subnet:
> network-interface:network ISSUPERSET '192.168.1.5'

We don't currently define a network-interface object (that I can find), so at this point I'm still not convinced it's needed. That said, I'm not opposed to a (better-named) ISSUPERSET operator, since implementing it will likely be easy once the converse ISSUBSET (again, better-named) operator is.

Greg