cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] timestamp proposal for STIX 2.0 RC3

This works for me. So the new text would be something like this.

2.10.  Timestamp

Type Name: timestamp

Timestamps in STIX are represented as a number of seconds since the Unix epoch (January 1, 1970) in the UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) timezone.

The JSON MTI serialization uses the JSON number type <TODO: add reference> when representing timestamp.

2.10.1.  Requirements

·         The timestamp field MUST be a non-negative decimal number between 0 (January 1, 1970) and 4102462800 (January 1, 2100) representing seconds since the Unix

    epoch.

·         The precision of the timestamp field MUST NOT be better than picoseconds (10^-12 seconds).

Two other questions:

1.       Should we add a statement like Bret says saying you can (SHOULD?) use a float64 to represent this number (I believe float64 would lose precision if you try to do picoseconds, but should be good up until microseconds).

2.       Should we add a statement saying that STIX systems SHOULD use NTP to sync their clocks?

Personally, I think implementation guidance like both of those items should be in an implementer’s guide, separate from the specification, to keep the specification focused on STIX itself.

John