cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Use of XMPP in CTI

Thanks Dave for your perspective. For the broader forum’s education here’s some pointers and background why this technology is important -
  1. XMPP Grid IETF draft - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mile-xmpp-grid/. The draft discussions where we extend XMPP and some of the core components that XMPP Grid messaging framework offers over and above XMPP.
  2. Platform Exchange Grid (pxGrid) is a commercial version of XMPP Grid which is adopted by 50+ industry vendors across 10+ technology areas and the eco-system is growing. Please review https://developer.cisco.com/site/pxgrid/discover/overview/ and http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/pxgrid.html
  3. We have Web Sockets and REST extensions with STOMP defined for XMPP Grid, alleviating the need for clients to be XMPP aware and have a client installed on them to exchange on XMPP Grid.
We believe that an integration between STIX/TAXII and XMPP-Grid is important as you state Dave so look forward to working on a community based approach to solving that problem.

Thanks
Syam

From: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Dave Cridland <dave.cridland@surevine.com>
Date: Friday, March 10, 2017 at 8:17 AM
To: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [cti] Use of XMPP in CTI

Folks,

I'm sorry to have missed the presentation and discussion around Cisco's XMPP-Grid. As some of you already know, I've spent the past decade or so working with XMPP within the XMPP Standards Foundation, and I'm currently serving on their XMPP Council, the technical council for the standards. I'm happy to make myself available to people wanting further information on how XMPP works, and what facilities is has in various spaces.

At Surevine, we're already using XMPP within the CTI space, and are moving to exposing STIX data stores over XMPP. It's useful as it provides a clear mechanism for publish/subscribe operations across multiple domains (both in terms of the DNS and autonomous organisations), and since we're largely focussed on people rather than simply the raw data, the inclusion of discussion and chat capability is extremely convenient.

We are using a combination of the base specifications (RFC 6120 and RFC 6121), and selected XMPP Extension Protocols (XEP-0060, XEP-0258, XEP-0369 being the primary ones of interest).

It's never been clear to me precisely what XMPP-Grid offers over and above these - for example it appears to provide its own subscription syntax (which offers nothing beyond the XEP-0060 syntax it replaces), but does not provide any guidance on topic layout.

To put it another way, we're already achieving much of XMPP-Grid's stated aims, but without having had to write new protocol extensions. So while I do like the idea of using XMPP for CTI data exchange, I'm not interested in XMPP-Grid.

I've raised this on the IETF MAIL WG list, but never actually had an answer as to what XMPP-Grid is doing that cannot be done using pre-existing protocol.

As a final note, I would exhort people to continue with TAXII (or at least, some form of classical Web API), since developers often find XMPP quite a steep learning curve. But for higher volumes and higher complexity, XMPP will save a vast amount of engineering design.

Dave.
--

Dave Cridland

+448454681066

Surevine

Participate | Collaborate | Innovate

Surevine Limited, registered in England and Wales with number 06726289. Mailing Address : PO Box 1136, Guildford GU1 9ND
If you think you have received this message in error, please notify us.