cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] [EXT] [cti] Location as a Top-Level SDO

Well said Mark.

Best Regards,
Nicholas Hayden, CISSP, GICSP, CNDA, CEH, Sec+
Director of Engineering Anomali | anomali.com
808 Winslow St Redwood City, CA 94063
Phone: (650) 257-0867 | Twitter: @anomali

On Jun 13, 2017, at 8:50 AM, Mark Davidson <Mark.Davidson@nc4.com> wrote:

In the interest of achieving principled negotiation, I’ll articulate my needs for this solution:
  1. Changing the location structure later on does not require significant modification to all STIX objects.
    1. For instance, if we made location a common property with a simple location=STRING, and then transitioned to location=JSON_OBJECT, that would require a lot of engineering re-work and I’d like to avoid it.
  2. I need to use location on any SDO, not just the ones that have been pre-ordained at design time (aka “now”).
    1. We saw this problem in spades in STIX 1.x, let’s not repeat it.

So far I’ve seen examples of what location-as-a-property (LAAP, for short) would look like. Is there a more concrete proposal?

As something of a side note (but directly to Nicholas’ point), I think they key factor here is that a substantial subset of this community perceives there to be one and only one valid relationship from any SDO to a location, that of “located at” (e.g., Threat Actor located at “Joe’s Pizza”). My sense is that the count of relationships is a distinguishing factor between whether an SDO is needed, or whether the information can be represented as a property.
                If there is one and only one valid relationship type, that information can be effectively encoded in the property reference. If there is more than one valid relationship type, then the Relationship Object is needed to indicate the relationship type.

Thank you.
-Mark

From: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Nicholas Hayden <nhayden@anomali.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 8:47 AM
To: John A Wunder <jwunder@mitre.org>
Cc: Patrick Maroney <pmaroney@wapacklabs.com>, Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>, Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com>, CTI OASIS GROUP <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Back, Greg" <gback@mitre.org>, "Nathan S. Reller" <Nathan.Reller@jhuapl.edu>

Can we derive a "Go No GO” checklist for SDO’s?  This might help us in resolving this and to John’s point future scenarios.  My proposal is we clearly define what the characteristics are which “Qualifies” something that needs to be an SDO.  So for example does it requiring versioning “Yes” ok thats a +1 toward making it an SDO.