cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] [EXT] [cti] Location as a Top-Level SDO

Agreed.

Allan Thomson

CTO

+1-408-331-6646

LookingGlass Cyber Solutions

From: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Struse, Richard J." <rjs@mitre.org>
Date: Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 5:17 AM
To: Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>, "Piazza, Rich" <rpiazza@mitre.org>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com>
Cc: "Wunder, John" <jwunder@mitre.org>, Patrick Maroney <pmaroney@wapacklabs.com>, Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>, "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Back, Greg" <gback@mitre.org>, "Nathan.Reller@jhuapl.edu" <Nathan.Reller@jhuapl.edu>

+1 to the idea of extending the use of hashes in the relationship object.  While I believe that digitally-signed STIX  content is something we need to do, I think it is also clear that it will take some work to get it right.  So, perhaps a good first step would be to use John-Mark Gurney’s canonicalization ideas to allow someone to compute a hash(es) for an SDO they are linking to and then store those in the relationship (this would be optional)? Then, later on when I de-reference that relationship I have the option to generate the canonical version of the destination object, hash it and compare the hashes.

For those who haven’t been tracking this, in practice it might look like this:

  1. Analyst Jane wants to link to a threat actor definition for APT3.14 that is published by BigCo.
  2. Jane retrieves the definition of APT3.14 from BigCo’s TAXII server and reviews it to make sure that she agrees with their definition
  3. Seeing that it does, Jane creates a campaign object for an internally-tracked campaign and then creates a relationship to the UUID of the BigCo definition of APT3.14.  As part of that relationship creation process, the tool Jane is using generates the canonical representation of the APT3.14 object, hashes that and stores the hashes in the SRO maintained in their local repository.
  4. A few weeks later, the AngryBaker cr3w hacks into BigCo and subtly alters the definition of APT3.14 in BigCo’s repository.
  5. Subsequent to that, Jane runs an analytic she’s developed that entails their tools going to fetch the definition of APT3.14 from BigCo.  The tool, seeing that a hash is present in the relationship generates the canonical representation of the just-fetched APT3.14 and hashes it.  When the tool sees that the hashes don’t match the tool flags the relationship in their local repository and sends an alert to Jane who notifies BigCo of the problem.

Rich