cti message

Subject: Sanity checking on references to other objects

Hi All,

I’m consolidating the discussion on “linking to other objects” to this thread.

References from various threads:

·         http://markmail.org/message/5me3xvamzadvu4jg

·         http://markmail.org/message/cbbw5zilfgzodcpf

·         http://markmail.org/message/githhm4kns6hceom

http://markmail.org/message/cbbw5zilfgzodcpf - suggest the use of an object hash.

I suggest use of the modified_time of the referenced object.

The modified_time is a single comparison which also provides temporal positioning which end recipients can leverage for decision marking either manual or automated.

Example:

·         Entity_B creates Object_B at with create/modify_time = 0

·         Entity_A creates an Object_A with reference to Object_B and create/modify_time = 1

·         Entity_B updates Object_B at with modify_time = 2

·         Entity_C gets Object_A and all Object_Bs and has the ability to determine which instance of Object_B Entity_A is referencing.

This is less trivial in a fast sharing environment where multiple versions of an object are shared independently.

Thoughts?

Marlon Taylor
Technology Services Section
National Cybersecurity & Communications Integration Center (NCCIC)
U.S. Department of Homeland Security