cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Sanity checking on references to other objects

Taylor, Marlon wrote this message on Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 14:14 +0000:
> I'm consolidating the discussion on "linking to other objects" to this thread.
>
> References from various threads:
>
> *         http://markmail.org/message/5me3xvamzadvu4jg
>
> *         http://markmail.org/message/cbbw5zilfgzodcpf
>
> *         http://markmail.org/message/githhm4kns6hceom
>
> http://markmail.org/message/cbbw5zilfgzodcpf - suggest the use of an object hash.
>
> I suggest use of the modified_time of the referenced object.

If a hash is used, a modified_time will need to be included also,
otherwise it may be prohibitively expensive for the receiving in
to decide which version was the correct match.

If this hash/time is included, it should be optional, and an
implementation MAY choose to use a newer version w/o negative impact
to the system..  The information provided is for informational purposes
only.

I do see value in providing this additional information, as just because
one SDO's modified time is after another SDO's modified time does not mean
that the original SDO knew or was aware of modifications that came after.

T = 0	Object A is created
T = 1	Object A is modified
T = 2	Object B is created, but creator only knows of object A at T = 0
T = 3	Third party sees latest objects of both A & B, but is able to know
	that Object B is based upon an older Object A.

--
John-Mark