cti message

Subject: CTI v2.0 STIX and TAXII specifications, and trademarks

Dear TC Members:

As you know, your special majority ballot for the approval of the STIX and TAXII v.2.0 specifications looks like it will close successfully, this evening. [1]   Please note that we are in discussions among OASIS staff and US DHS, the original contributor of the pre-OASIS specifications, seeking to remove the posted special trademark license conditions [1], and the related "TM" symbols currently used in the specifications.

You may recall that this issue also arose in the 2016 approvals of v1.0, because OASIS rules do not permit a third-party retention of trademark rights, which is very unusual in open standards industry practice.  For v1.0, the OASIS Board of Directors provided a special waiver, as DHS indicated that there was not sufficient time to consider our request.  We will need to resolve this issue for the current version as well, before our staff can certify the specifications as approved.  This may cause a delay of the official CS announcement, which triggers the works'  OASIS IPR Policy license rights.  We will keep you posted on our progress.

If you have any questions you should feel free to contact me.

Thank you.  JBC

[1]  https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballot.php?id=3102
[2]  https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/cti/ipr.php

James Bryce Clark, General Counsel
https://www.oasis-open.org/staff
www.twitter.com/JamieXML

OASIS+FIRST Borderless Cyber Prague:  j.mp/praguecybersec
EU Commission 2017 Plan for Open ICT Standards:  j.mp/EUstds2017
Cybersecurity standards at RSAc 2017:  j.mp/OASIS2017RSA