cti message

Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [cti] type changing from "object" to "array" for cyber observable objects

If memory serves it came down to a data transformation and validation question vs client side performance.  With the logic being that if a system needed to store the ID off separately it could move they key into an internal field for its own use and then transform it back out when exporting it as Cybox data.

This in turn would allow any client traversing or validating cybox graph to use the already defined JSON keys rather than having to build a separate key array and then do a second pass to resolve all relationships.

Jeffrey Mates, Civ DC3/DCCI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer Scientist
Defense Cyber Crime Institute
jeffrey.mates@dc3.mil
410-694-4335

-----Original Message-----
From: cti@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:cti@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Andras Iklody
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 4:06 AM
To: cti@lists.oasis-open.org

Is the reasoning behind it explained anywhere? Whoever we've discussed STIX 2.x so far with had their faces buried deeply in their palms whenever they got to the part of the documentation that explained this very concept.

Also, revising bad decisions, even if they were reached via concensus / a previous debate can be healthy for a standard. Especially when the only explanation we get each time we ask about this is "as thus has been decideth" without any reasoning given.

Best regards,
Andras