cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] type changing from "object" to "array" for cyber observable objects

Yes but you don't want to revoke the string "http://http://<domain>" - you want to revoke the object that contains that string, so you can correct it. This is the difference.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security

From:        Sarah Kelley <Sarah.Kelley@cisecurity.org>
To:        Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@cosive.com>, Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Cc:        CTI TC Discussion List <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Bret Jordan (CS)" <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>, Andras Iklody <andras.iklody@circl.lu>, "Sean Barnum" <sean.barnum@fireeye.com>
Date:        10/03/2017 04:51 PM
Sent by:        <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

The only thing I would comment on is the ability to revoke an observable. We often throw around “an observable is a fact”, and it causes me angst. The reason for this is that people and tools make mistakes. For example, in my tool at the moment, I have a bunch of URLs that are in the database as “http://http://<domain>”. This is CLEARLY wrong. That isn’t’ the format of a URL. I don’t care how or why this happened (at the moment), but the issue is that if I can’t revoke an object that’s wrong, I can never correct it.

Sarah Kelley
Senior Cyber Threat Analyst
Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC)
31 Tech Valley Drive
East Greenbush, NY 12061

sarah.kelley@cisecurity.org
518-266-3493