cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] RE: Suggested Additions to industry-sector-ov

There are actually many lists and they all focus on different things and have different levels of granularity based on what it focuses on. Some focus on critical infrastructure and some focus on certain industry sectors more than others.  There is no good list for all use cases.

What we tried to do for 2.0 is take the top 15-20 lists we could find and find the commonality that existed between them and fill in the gaps that were missing in any one list. Marking sure we normalized at the same level of abstraction for each area.

The next thing we tried to do is minimize confusing overlap and take a minimal approach. So if two or three categorize where overly similar and specific relative to the rest of the items in the list, we tried to find how other lists treated this and find a term higher up that could encompass both.

The last thing we did was reword sub categories so that they would line up alphabetically.

We may need to add a few entries here and there, but we should try and keep the list short enough that people can actually find what they are looking for. And before we make any huge changes we need to remember that different groups have different requirements and that the list is an open vocab and the property is a list. So you can add more than one entry.  You could pick an item from this higher level list and then add an extra entry for a specific entry from your sector specific detailed list.

Through this work we found that many of the lists are a mile deep in one area and an inch deep every where else. This combined list that we have today’s tries to be a few feet deep every where.

Bret

Sent from my Commodore 128D

PGP Fingerprint: 63B4 FC53 680A 6B7D 1447  F2C0 74F8 ACAE 7415 0050