cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Important ballot opened to determine our way forward

Two things I wanted to bring to everyone’s attention.  First, here is the link to the ballot: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cti/ballot.php?id=3191. Second, my email from yesterday afternoon incorrectly stated the date that the ballot closes.  This ballot will close on Tuesday, April 17th at 6PM Eastern time. The ballot is open now.

Again, I urge everyone to review the ballot and supporting materials, consider the issues carefully and then cast your vote!

Thanks,

Rich

From: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Richard Struse <rjs@mitre.org>
Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 6:26 PM
To: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

All,

As you may have seen, an official ballot was just opened titled: “Choosing a path forward for the STIX 2.1 release” (please ignore the open/deleted messages from an earlier version of the ballot).  This ballot is the result of a significant amount of discussion and debate during, and subsequent to the F2F in Salt Lake City at the end of January, including an extensive discussion during the full TC meeting last week. The ballot presents three options for your consideration – each of which proposes a somewhat different approach to how we go about scoping and releasing STIX 2.1. You are being asked to pick one of those three.

This is an important question and I encourage all of you to carefully review the ballot and the options it describes.  Here are the options and the links to more detailed descriptions of each of them:

Option #1: Full scope STIX 2.1 release, with additional validation.  More details here.

Option #2: Limited scope STIX 2.1 release, with no immediate additional validation - additional validation starting from STIX 2.2.  More details here.

Option #3: Limited scope STIX 2.1 release, including additional validation - as described in Option 1.  More details here.

As always, if you and/or your organization feel strongly about this question and would like to advocate on behalf of any of these options I encourage you to do so. However, I would also encourage everyone to keep their messages concise and fact-based.  Generalized assertions casting aspersions about options you do not favor are not conducive to productive discussion. If you have questions about the proposals and their impact on the releases I encourage you to pose them to the TC as a whole.

If you have any other questions regarding this ballot or anything else regarding the CTI TC, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.  I thank you in advance for taking the time and effort to read and carefully consider each proposal before casting your vote.  Please note that the ballot closes at 6PM Eastern Time on Tuesday, March 17th.

Thank you,

Rich

Richard J. Struse

Chair, OASIS Cyber Threat Intelligence Technical Committee

Chief Strategist for Cyber Threat Intelligence

The MITRE Corporation

+1-703-983-7049 (office)

+1-703-342-8368 (mobile)