cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Minor spec question: minimum characters for custom property/object names

As-is is good by me.

We have much bigger issues to work.

Allan

From: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Wunder, John" <jwunder@mitre.org>
Date: Friday, June 1, 2018 at 6:09 AM
To: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi all,

We discussed a minor topic on this past working call and I wanted to summarize the discussion and see if anyone else had any thoughts. Notes from the working call are here: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/63164/OASIS-CTI-TC_WorkingCall_May29_2018.pdf

The specific text is in Part 1, Sections 8.1.1 [1] and 8.2.1 [2]. Currently, we have a normative MUST requirement that all custom property names and custom object names be at least three characters long. This was set in place when, in the specification, we also had a normative MUST for the dictionary type to require properties be longer than two characters. In developing support for internationalization, though, Emmanuelle noticed a bug [3] where this conflicted with the property names required by i18n, ISO language codes, which can be only two characters long. So, we changed the requirement in the text for dictionary to allow for two-character key names in dictionaries.

Custom properties and objects are a separate topic, but since the text was originally the same we wanted to bring it up for discussion. We talked about it on the working call this past week and the discussion seemed to land on it not being a huge deal and that we should leave the text as-is. This would mean that, though you can use keys in a dictionary that are only 1 or 2 characters long (including ISO language codes), custom property and object names would still have to be three characters long.

Does anybody object to keeping this as-is, per the working call discussion? The other options would be to either change the requirement to a minimum of two characters (effectively allowing everything except one character names) or to remove the requirements altogether.

Thanks for your feedback,

John

[1]: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ShNq4c3e1CkfANmD9O--mdZ5H0O_GLnjN28a_yrEaco/edit#heading=h.3a2x3jdr23tq

[2]: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ShNq4c3e1CkfANmD9O--mdZ5H0O_GLnjN28a_yrEaco/edit#heading=h.u7ks5xud8vj0