cti message

Subject: RE: [cti] Minor spec question: minimum characters for custom property/object names

From a programmatic perspective it can be useful since some systems use very short key values for internal purposes.  It’s also helpful to avoid overlap between custom fields defined by different groups for widely different purposes none of which can be explained since the keys for such values are things like “a”, “x” and “qr”.

Jeffrey Mates, Civ DC3/DCCI

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Computer Scientist

Defense Cyber Crime Institute

jeffrey.mates@dc3.mil

410-694-4335

From: cti@lists.oasis-open.org <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Sean Barnum
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2018 11:47 AM
To: Wunder, John A. <jwunder@mitre.org>; cti@lists.oasis-open.org

Thank you for the clarification.

Honestly, I have never really seen the value in having those restrictions and think we would be better off without them.

Is there anyone arguing for the remaining restriction to stay in place? If not, then why not remove it as well to be consistent? Unless there is someone arguing to keep it, this does not seem like it would be huge time sink to change.

I don’t want to go down a huge rabbit hole explaining pedantic details (I am sure you don’t want me too either 😉 ) but I do see some risk and unnecessary limitations in having differing naming constraints on dictionary keys and custom properties/objects.

These constructs are our escape clause supporting flexibility where it may be required and unless there is a specific reason to constrain their length, why do it? Taking the dictionary approach has its advantages in some scenarios where custom properties/objects have advantages in others and, avoiding the aforementioned rabbit holes, I can think of some scenarios where locally scoped transformations may wish to move content between the two structural approaches where both forms are valid STIX. Differing length constraints would limit the flexibility to do that without changing property names.

Definitely not a huge issue but an issue nonetheless and one we can simply avoid by removing the remaining constraint as well unless there is someone specifically arguing to keep it.

If I end up the lone voice in the wilderness asking to remove the constraint then go ahead and leave it as is. I just do not see the rationale to not fix it now while it is easy.

Sean Barnum

Principal Architect

FireEye

M: 703.473.8262