cti message

Subject: Re: [EXT] [cti] Motion for an OASIS Open Repository for STIX Enhancement Proposals (SEPs)

I will second this only with the following caveats, otherwise the motion does not address the concerns I had originally.

1) I think the repos need to have a CTI prefix in their name, so I would propose we use the name: "cti-sep-repository"

2) This repository will only be used for the following types of SEPs.

  • New STIX Domain Objects (SDOs)
  • New STIX Relationship Objects (SROs)
  • New STIX Cyber Observables (SCOs)
  • New STIX Object Extensions
    • These are named groups of properties.

3) The following types of SEPs are out of scope for this repository and work:

  • Redefining an existing property on an object to add clarity or enhanced meaning.
    • For example, explaining double or triple tagging of data in a "tags" property.
  • Redefining the semantics of existing SDOs, SROs, and/or SCOs (or properties thereof) which are already defined in CSDs and/or CSs.
  • Adding to or redefining the semantics of STIX Patterning (including, but not limited to adding new elements, expressions, operators, or language elements).

4) This repository and registry will be used for SEPs that are officially submitted to the TC by TC members or for SEPs created by the TC itself.

5) We will in the coming weeks investigate a different option for registering enhancements / extensions from:
  • TC members that do not wish to submit their IPR to the TC
  • TC members that do wish to submit their SEP to the TC as long as it is unmodified.
  • Third-Parties that do not wish to submit their IPR to the TC
  • Third-Parties that do wish to submit their IPR to the TC

On the working call today I was okay with coming to middle ground to address Allan's concerns, however, the motion did not capture what I believe we agreed to on the call. If my caveats are accepted as part of the motion, then I am okay with this moving forward.

Bret