cti message

Subject: Location Object

All,

When we first worked on the Location object, there was some discussion about adding a precision property for lat/long.  Back then, I went along with the request and claims being made.  However, after letting this sit for a while (6 months), I now think that precision for lat/long is just not worth it. The amount of extra complexity it will require on implementations and systems not knowing what to do with it, makes this a solid candidate for a custom property.

We have a history in the TC about debating precision on timestamps, and I feel like this falls in to that same bucket. We decided to elide timestamp precision and I think we should do the same here with lat/long precision in the Location object.

If we find in the future that we honestly really do need it, then sure, we can see about adding it.  I just do not feel like it is worth it right now and would strongly propose that we remove precision from Location before it is included in 2.1.

Thanks

Bret