cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] Possible Changes to Observed Data

I was not present at the infamous âarglebargleâ discussion, so I donât know all of the pros and cons of option #4 that were presented, but I wonder what having cyber observables as first- class objects (equal to SDOs/SROs) would look like. Here is a simple example of the object âgraphâ of an Observed Data object as currently defined (from the spec):

{

 "0": {

   "type": "email-addr",

   "value": "jdoe@example.com",

   "display_name": "John Doe"

 },

 "1": {

   "type": "email-addr",

   "value": "mary@example.com",

   "display_name": "Mary Smith"

 },

 "2": {

   "type": "email-message",

   "from_ref": "0",

   "to_refs": ["1"],

   "is_multipart": false,

   "date": "1997-11-21T15:55:06.000Z",

   "subject": "Saying Hello"

 }

}

Is the suggestion to have three independent objects, using uuids to link them instead of labels (0, 1, etc)? Would we add properties like âfirst_observedâ to all of these objects? Isnât the purpose of the Observed Data container to add this kind of context? I hope we all still agree that a cyber observable is a FACT (from 2.1, Part 1, Section 1.5.5 of the spec: It describes the facts concerning what happened, but not necessarily the who or when, and never the why).

Also, I feel we are getting away from the concept of Observed Data as a âdata pointâ (also a quote from the spec). My understanding of the âgraphâ of objects was to fully describe ONE data point, that contains objects defined by other cyber observables. So, instead of having a âtoâ property in email-messages that is a list of email-addresses as strings, since we already have defined an email-address object, we use that instead. This just makes things more consistent.

There seems to be a use case for a âcyber observable bagâ â a bunch of objects described using cyber observables that need to be referred to as a whole. I suggest this second kind of container for these â and not trying to force the Observed Data model to serve this use case.

Of course, for 2.1, I favor option #1.Â