cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [cti] RE: [EXT] Re: [cti] Possible Changes to Observed Data

Gary:

The proposal you outline on your PowerPoint makes a lot of sense. As we
move forward with the Infrastructure object, and see overlapping
malicious infrastructure (or even Tool objects) this will be a way to
surface those relationships. As I understand your proposal, this will
allow us to pivot on the Observed Data object, which will be very useful
during a hunting expedition.Â

For the Malware object I can see us using it to characterize multiple
uses of the same malware. If we take the recent Mueller Indictment of
the 12 GRU operatives as an example, we saw that the threat actors used
the X-Agent Malware on the DCCC (Victim 1), and then again on the DNC
(Victim 2). And, we saw that the X-Tunnel Malware was used to
exfiltrate documents from each of the separate victims.Â

As an analyst, I want to be able to see the multiple uses of X-Agent on
the different victims. One way to see that overlap would be to use the
parent_nodes property that you suggest for the Observed Data object. It
would allow me to "see" the connection (on a Graph) representation,
without being overwhelmed by all of the related nodes. For example, if
76 'hosts' within Victim 1 were infected with X-Agent, I don't want to
be swamped with all of the infected hosts when I'm searching for
connections to other related Campaigns on Victim 2. I may only want to
see Patient Zero or a specific Cyber Observable such as a binary or
executable file. This would help me filter out the noise and use
deductive logic to draw a relationship between the two separate Campaigns.Â

Jane

--
R. Jane Ginn, MSIA, MRP
Secretary, Cyber Threat Intelligence Technical Committee (CTI TC)