cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Nomination for CTI Co-Chair

Bret; Thank you for the nomination - after carefully considering it overnight - I humbly accept.

When composing this acceptance, I decided to check the calendar - and I was surprised to discover that it has been over four years since I became involved in this effort! Time moves fast...

During that time, I have seen STIX, TAXII, and the standard formerly known as Cybox evolve from nascent beginnings to one of the few cybersecurity-specific information exchange standards that has gained somewhat widespread adoption. That said, it is important for members of this technical committee to realize that there is still a very, very long way to go regarding adoption. It is still on a very routine (daily / weekly) basis that I have to educate clients, partners, and developers on basic matters regarding this standard, and I view this as one of the most urgent challenges that we as a TC have to embrace and face if we want this standard to be a success.

* I routinely interact with cybersecurity start-ups - whose innovation still very much shapes the direction of this industry - and they rarely consider STIX & TAXII when developing product, if they even know of it's existence.

* There is still an extremely large subset of the established cybersecurity industry who view this standard as "that thing to share IOCs", when you advocate using STIX/TAXII for more advanced use cases. The idea of using STIX beyond basic intel sharing is unheard of.

* Even those vendors who want to embrace STIX/TAXII often have numerous implementation roadblocks that inhibit adoption (Do I need to support 1.x? Do I "wait" for 2.1?)

I believe that this TC is at a crossroads. Adoption is the life-blood of a standard - a standard without widespread adoption is not really anything more than a thought experiment. Cybersecurity is an industry where technology evolves at an exponential pace, and is not one who will wait-around for STIX & TAXII, *even if* they are a superior way to do business. History - and the cybersecurity industry itself - is littered with examples of standards (both de-facto and from standards organizations) that have either never gotten off the ground, or have been supplanted with others, because they did not do all that they could to ensure widespread adoption. I believe that there are changes we have to encourage in this TC to right this ship, lest we also succumb to this fate. We can not rest on our laurels, nor can we allow debates in the TC to endlessly circle around property minutia or the "next great object", as the industry moves on and leaves us behind.

I firmly believe that more widespread adoption and growth of this standard - including expansion of its use beyond simple intel sharing - would not only greatly help the cybersecurity industry move forward, but also help simply make the planet a safer place. That is why I stay involved in this effort. If elected, my primary focus will be on continuing to do whatever I can to help the TC in promoting STIX and TAXII adoption, and helping the TC internally to foster that end - which includes the encouragement of acceleration of progress where necessary, yet simultaneously, encouragement of moving implementation forward rapidly with what we have today. Only by executing on both simultaneously will we end up successful.

-
Jason Keirstead
Lead Architect - IBM.Security
www.ibm.com/security

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Unknown