cti message

Subject: Text Version of Working Call Meeting Notes

John-Mark Gurney

Gary Katz

Tom Vaughan

Agenda:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Review of COA Proposal

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Review of Option 1 Proposal

Meeting Notes:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sarah Kelley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Started meeting â turned over to Allan to review COA proposal

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Reviewed the updates to the Course of Action (COA) SDO for STIX 2.1

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bkMmU1PxlwlAwjrMmyWV147rvLcRs2x62FicHbpH2gU/edit#

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Reviewed the changes proposed â Asked for comments on comment sheet

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Trey Darley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Posed question about changes made with respect to other standards

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Confirmed that there was effort to harmonize

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Richard Struse

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Asked for clarification on how the proposed updates would work with other standards

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Clarified position on this

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sarah Kelley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gave summary of the discussion of 1 Prime & 7 Proposals from F2F

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Discussed background of the two proposals for how to handle Cyber Observables

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Discussed need for Evidence-Based approach â 25 different Models

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Iâll turn over to Sean â Please let him get out his proposal first â then ask questions

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sean Barnum

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ What is Option 1?

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We realize there would be an impact on Interop; but we havenât done them yet

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We agree that we would need to change that â but, we wanted to model

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The STIX Spec first

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The link to the list of use cases that were modeled is here:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1puPuKVWNSelrWH05yu9It99OuqQGdYo_Et0nmZKAZz8/edit#

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The link to our proposal is here:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j0gXMp3MFLzHCrudfbDn5NeZSUeBCc8EBsvPsP1epOg/edit ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Â

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ There are 5 substantive changes.

1.ÂÂÂÂÂ Observables keep their same type structure but are now TLOs

oÂÂÂ Semantically the same thing (a file is still a file, a domain-name is still a domain-name, etc)

2.ÂÂÂÂÂ Observed-data.objects now contains references to the observable objects rather than defining them inline

oÂÂÂ Semantically the same thing (observations still specify the observables they observed)

3.ÂÂÂÂÂ Observed-data.objects can now contain references to relationships

oÂÂÂ Semantically the same thing (the relationships were already there as properties on the observable objects)

4.ÂÂÂÂÂ Inter-Observable relationships currently expressed as properties on source object are broken out into Relationships

oÂÂÂ Semantically the same thing

oÂÂÂ Is needed anyway for numerous reasons

5.ÂÂÂÂÂ Extensions are possible on all STIX objects

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ NO change in overall semantics (each type of object still represents the same thing) just in how they are structured

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ NO substantive change to any STIX Objects other than observed-data

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ NO substantive changes to any Observable Object types except breaking out relationship properties that should be relationships

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Made argument that SOOs are top level objects â SDOs and SROs can relate directly

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Went through the specific proposed changes to Part 2 & 4 if the proposal accepted

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Noted that Part 3 would be deleted (merged with Part 2)

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Real focus was on substantive changes â we didnât try to update the editorial things

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Some of the code may need to be updated

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We are still working on the Rational for all of these proposed changes

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Part was driven by the Use Cases that were presented

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I couldnât get to the Rational yet â but, Iâll get it out to you

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ You should all have edit rights on the document

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sarah Kelley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gave a summary of the proposed changes to Option 7

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Changes to Timestamps â Optionality & how handled for Extensions

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sean Barnum

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I didnât realize that was part of Option 7

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sarah Kelley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Opened the floor for questions

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ John-Mark

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ If Cyber Observables are TLOs, how do you know if an observation changes with versions?

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We donât have any links on the SDOs that would handle the versioning issue?

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sean Barnum

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Discussed options for handling versioning issues â Not in proposal â we did think about

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ This problem holds true for any relationship in STIX

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ John-Mark

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Iâve long been pushing for adding the âModifiedâ â But, does not completely solve

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The problem

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Jeffrey Mates

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Explained how it could work for SROs

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ With this proposal we are elevating Cyber Observables to TLOs

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Iâm looking at an example of this â [gave example of infection on a laptop]

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ In our current proprietary JSON schema â explained how

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Design criteria was âEfficiencyâ â As fast as possible

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ When we mapped to STIX, it was closely related â All same Time Stamps

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ If you break apart, they no longer related

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ If I understand your proposal correctly, I cannot show the relationships efficiently

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ It is very inefficient

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gary Katz

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ If you are defining a custom schema specific to your organization â that will be

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ More efficient â With this broader application the schema has to be more flexible

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Allan Thomson

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The issue is:Â When does data become Intelligence, and how to you represent that

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We seem to be conflating data and intelligence

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We donât want to lose context

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ John-Mark Gurney

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I agree with Allan on this â having spent the last two years writing code for this

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ This new version really worries me because youâre going to need

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ A relationship for every object

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Writing code for this will be extremely complicated

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Our existing approach is much easier to code

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Sean Barnum

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I would say that we will have greater efficiency at scale

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The first question is:Â Can we convey what we want to convey

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The current way of doing things shows us that we need more expressivity

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gary has an example of what I mean

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Trey Darley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ This is not a trivial change â and given that FE has not had a chance to develop

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ A rational

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Gary Katz

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Went through a comparison

Gary Katz

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The crux of the problem is that we cannot relate some of the SDOs

John-Mark Gurney

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I see these things representing two different things

Gary Katz

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Made observation about how to update

Richard Struse

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I was the one at the F2F for us to focus on evidence-based decision making

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We need to look at the technical issue â but, we also have to look at the reputational risk

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We need to look at this with respect to the broader implications for the TC

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I applaud these kinds of conversations â Good modelling

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Letâs make sure the proponents of Option 1 and Option 7 each should come with

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Evidence-based models and codes

John-Mark Gurney

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Noted that when new proposals come out it pushes out our dates

Richard Struse

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I realize that â But we need to be able to convey to the broader community

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ That we considered all proposals

Trey Darley

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Weâll continue this discussion next week â Thanks all!

Chat Panel:

From jmg to Everyone:Â 12:43 PM

Jeff, yeah, if we add modified to id refs, and require that the observed data contains ALL the objects, both SRO/SDOs, then yeah, it's addresses my concerns with my raised points.

From Jeff Mates to Everyone:Â 12:44 PM

nice

From jmg to Everyone:Â 12:51 PM

but not other points...

if you do dedup'ing yes, but that is VERY expensive... ZFS has demonstrated that deduping is expensive and not at all effecient..

From Sarah Kelley to Everyone:Â 12:52 PM

Sean, would it be possible for you to make a list of some of the things you can do in 1 that can't be done in 7? Like a summary of the UC docs?

Nevermind. That's what Trey is asking

From jmg to Everyone:Â 12:59 PM

gary, please update the slide to match and convey the same information, i.e. each one should have same number of observed data objects and malware analysis objects.. and send to the list.

From sean.barnum to Everyone:Â 01:01 PM

The Option1 example does not need to have any observed-data objects to be the same

it is not necessarily conveying an observation. Slide1 may be just conveying intelligence of what the producer believes.

The observed-data are in the Option7 example because there is NO way to convey what is inside them without those wrapper objects

That is the nut of Option1 vs Option7

From Jeff Mates to Everyone:Â 01:01 PM

they don't need the same number of observed data since the issue can be bypassed while option 7 can force it but that just leads to fake values

From jmg to Everyone:Â 01:01 PM

that doesn't require a split IMO, there are solutions around that...

From sean.barnum to Everyone:Â 01:01 PM

@jmg, please show them to me

From jmg to Everyone:Â 01:03 PM

I've proposed adding the cyber observable object ref to the end of an identifier to look "into" the cyber observable objects...

others have as well..ÂÂ

Jane Ginn, MSIA, MRP
CTI TC Secretary, OASIS
+1 (928) 399-0509