cti message

Subject: RE: [EXT] RE: [cti] Option 1 vs. Option 7 Powerpoint Example

Hey all,

Bret alluded to some changes I suggested…I had kept these to a small group because I wasn’t sure whether it would really help the conversation, but maybe it’s time to share them.  It was also the hybrid proposal I tried and failed to describe at the F2F.

I didn’t really have this terminology at the time, but the changes are kind of along the lines of acknowledging the distinction that Allan brought up about about stateful vs. event-based information. The way I would think about it, the “stateful” relationships would be described using standard SROs using Observed Data as a container, while the description of an object itself (e.g. something you collected from a network observation) should be defined all in one place using our current approach. This enables the important use cases like relating another SDO to an observable object or describing like, domain name resolution, but doesn’t require that everyone rewrite how they currently produce an observable object definition.

Link is here: https://gist.github.com/johnwunder/a72eea28c6c1ad3a570b55d6a60583f7

FWIW I do think that the use case to capture relationships between other SDOs and observable objects are important, as is the ability to describe things like domain name resolutions in a more intuitive way. That’s what I came up with this option. It may not be exactly what the Option 1 folks want, but it does let you describe these things so that we can’t currently and so gives us an option to move forward with a smaller changeset while still enabling these use cases.

John

From: cti@lists.oasis-open.org <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Kelley, Sarah E.
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:59 AM
To: Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>; Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>; Gary Jay Katz <gary.katz@FireEye.com>; cti@lists.oasis-open.org

I’d like to explore what you define here as option c, which I believe is close to option 7 from the original list. It seems like Observed data would basically become a container object that could contain one or more (related) observables, BUT where we also take whatever relationships from the Observables Section that need to be SROs and define them that way. The ones that are immutable could stay embedded. (The examples for this, as Sean was saying, are that something like Domain resolving to IP would be an SRO because it can change and the sender email address on an email object would be embedded as it’s fixed.)

It would almost make observed-data act like a generic wrapper around observables, so they would look SDO-ish (if you put one observable inside one observed-data object), which might solve some of the same cases that Option 1 is trying to solve.

The major hangup I can see with this approach, which would need to be fleshed out and resolved, is if we have we let observed-data act like a generic SDO that can house any observable, the relationships (SROs) become more difficult. I don’t know that they’re impossible, just more difficult.

This seems like a middle ground that might allow both camps to have (at least some of) their cake and eat it too.

Thanks,

Sarah Kelley

Lead Cybersecurity Engineer, T8B2

Defensive Operations