cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] RE: [cti] Option 1 vs. Option 7 Powerpoint Example

Jason,

    I do not disagree that conceptually this is a large change, but it is a positive one.  Considering that making this update will simplify the model and that the cyber observable types and properties will remain consistent, this is not as large of a change as you are stating.  There are almost always code updates when integrating with a new version of a software library, subsystem, or standard.

   In my view, the issue is that we need a standard that supports both communities, and currently it only supports one.  Such an issue justifies making a change.  I agree with you that we need to find a middle-ground consensus.  As I understand the Event based systems have the following basic high high level requirements:

  1. Represent the types of objects and relationships necessary to communicate their info.
  2. Reduced data-transfer overhead
  3. Reduced creation and parsing overhead
  4. Capture event data which occurs at a specific time from a specific device.

Even based organizations like the status quo because they can capture event based data within observed-data objects in smaller JSON files and it is fairly easy to create and parse.  They are not dealing with complex cyber intelligence knowledge.  State-based systems have a greater interest in the relationships between data allowing for correlation and pivoting.  This is something they cannot do using the current model.  Requirements 2 and 3, while still important to state-based system, are not as critical.  The time at which things occur also vary more heavily in state-based systems.

We therefore need the ability to optimize the transfer of STIX data that support both extremes and all of the systems that will be a combination of an event and state based system.  Event-based focuses on optimizing for size and speed while sacrificing the complexity of the knowledge being represented (through relationships and time data), while state-based optimizes for knowledge representation while taking a hit on size and speed.  There will of course be systems that will have both or a subset across these requirements as well.

I believe we can meet the needs of these two audiences by a modified version of option 1.  Note, this will still require an update to code, but any compromise will require work by all parties.

Option 1 transitions cyber observables to TLOs, allowing state-based systems to meet their main requirement of capturing more complex cyber threat intelligence, but it hurts requirements 2 and 3 for event-based systems.  Note, if the system requires correlation across cyber observable objects related to observed-data, then option 1 is orders of magnitude faster than option 7 for parsing.  Each cyber observable must now include a version, created-date and modified-date, expanding the size of the JSON and increasing the number of parameters attached to each cyber observable.

The compromise:

If we allow TLOs to inherit (unless overridden) created, modified and version from the bundle, the size and complexity of the JSON is similar to the complexity of todayâs cyber observables.  Since event-based systems send out data in a consistent version and at an event in time, the version and time stamps should remain consistent across objects.  (remember, currently cyber observables objects perform the same inheritance from the observed-data objects they are encapsulated in). TLOs can also still include version, created and modified within the objects (overriding the properties in the bundle), allowing state-based systems to represent the complexity they require.

This change should be very simple to implement for event-based systems.  A skilled developer that writes JSON parsers and writers should be able to implement this update in a couple days.  If we are still worried about adoption issues, we can write libraries to transition from the current format to the new format.  These libraries will be lossy, since not all the relationships in the new format are possible in the current format, but they should be fine for STIX documents that only have observed-data in them.

Please let me know everyoneâs thoughts.  I hope this provides the compromise necessary to move us forward.

-Gary