cti message

Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] TAXII definition of "Done"

I am fine with that (since this is what I am doing behind the scenes anyways), but this would need to be taken to a ballot just like we did for STIX.  It would need to be binding, not just a casual agreement.

What I am doing right now is making sure every feature that gets added to TAXII is actually implemented in my libraries and test server (at some level).  I am doing this to help prevent the problems we had with TAXII 2.0, where 20 minutes in to coding we realized that, that design does not work in code.  Some of the issues we have resolved in TAXII 2.1 have come about because of this code work that I and others have done and the plugfests we have held.  I am a firm believer in "working code" and easy to implement in code.  I think those are two of the pillars to adoption.

One of the differences we have in TAXII versus STIX though is, TAXII does not have features that are just conceptual models. STIX on the other hand can just be "modeled" and not implemented.  This is why it was so important to have the "written in code" clause for STIX.

Bret

From: cti@lists.oasis-open.org <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 2:26:44 PM
To: Wunder, John A.; Jason Keirstead; Kelley, Sarah E.
Cc: cti@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [EXT] Re: [cti] TAXII definition of "Done"

+1 to TAXII features starting to require the same level of doneness as STIX changes.

Allan

From: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Wunder, John" <jwunder@mitre.org>
Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 1:21 PM
To: Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>, "Kelley, Sarah E." <skelley@mitre.org>
Cc: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: Re: [cti] TAXII definition of "Done"

Agreed, the same motivation for wanting to do this for STIX applies to TAXII. I’d also keep in mind that requiring sponsors and interop text makes it so that you’re not just evaluating technical feasibility (the implementation piece), you’re also ensuring that there’s defined use cases and a real scenario where it can be used (a concern discussed on the call). It’s way easier to say yes to something new than to say no, so it’s important to have these checks in place to make sure we don’t end up with something overly broad again.

John