cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Question about final publication as single document

A single doc is a good idea.

Allan

From: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 9:56 AM
To: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>

All,

As you know when we started working in Google Docs for the 2.0 specification, we quickly came across a page limit with Google Docs.  As such we had to break the STIX Document up in to multiple parts to stay under that page limit and keep Google Docs from crashing.   Where some of the content ended up was based purely on balancing the size of the documents, versus where it made the most sense.

Fast-forward to 2.1; CybOX is now part of STIX and a ton of water is now under the bridge. The editors have been talking about how best to address some of the problems people have with finding certain things as they do not know which document / part the content is in and thus they can not use Command-F/Ctrl-F to find it.

Would anyone object to the final work product being released as a single document?

NOTE: we would still use multiple Google Docs / parts (and maybe even more parts) to do document edits and TC review.  What would change is, when we cut a CSD or CS the editors would merge that all down into a single Word document. Also the individual parts would no longer have "Front Matter" and "Appendixes" as they would not be needed.

The document structure would probably look something like the following (though please feel free to bike shed the order).

STIX 2.1

Front Matter + IPR + Table of Contents

Introduction

Data Types

Core Concepts

STIX Helper Objects

STIX Domain Objects

STIX Relationship Objects

STIX Cyber Observable Objects

STIX Patterning

Vocabularies

Customizing STIX

Conformance

Appendixes

Please let the editors know if you have strong feelings one way or the other.

Bret