cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] Items Ready for TC Wide Final Review

This TC has an enormous amount of baggage around a few topics like IDs and Timestamps. These topics have caused significant debate over the years and in most case have even resulted in ballots. We have never had unanimity on these issues, but have achieved consensus and even achieved super majority ballot status [1].

Just because a few people are now suggesting and wanting once again that we go back and make radical changes does not invalidate the ballots that were done previously.  We balloted on these concepts and ideas.

Further, I have yet to see anyone bring up an issue that was not previously discussed and debated. All of these issues are not new and the TC made a conscious choice on some of these issues.

We tried to relax the STIX ID a bit, to address some significant issues that were brought up. However, to go back completely on formal consensus and a TC ballot would require at least another ballot that probably archives the same level of pass rate.

These topics come up over and over and over again.  We will always have someone that does not like the way something is done.  I really worry that if we re-open this debate at this time, that STIX 2.1 will never ship.  But it is obviously a TC issue and the TC can decide to once again reopen this debate. But I would strongly encourage us to be careful.

It would also be imprudent to make significant changes without going back through and address the hundreds or thousands of emails and tens of thousands of slack message and issues that were discussed previously.  There is a reason why the TC made these decisions.

So my recommendation is, if you want to continue to push this issue and reopen the debate, please address all previously identified issues and concerns from the 6+ months long debate we had.  Further, you will need to get a ballot opened and achieve a majority or the TC may say you need to achieve the same level of pass rate we had before.

[1] - https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cti/ballot.php?id=2932

Bret