cti message

Subject: Proposed Editing Changes to Common Properties in STIX 2.1 CSD 02

All,

Bret and I noticed that because we have four different types of STIX Objects (SDOs, SROs, SCOs and STIX Meta Objects) that there is much redundancy in the specification documents describing the common properties.  Up until now, we have had almost the same text in four different places.  It is easy to get confused.

We are proposing the following changes.  Please review them and give us your feedback in email, Slack or within the document itself.

We have merged all of the common property sections into one (see section 3.2 of the Master Document).  Whether a property is optional or required is no longer specified in the new table.  The description should contain the text of any differences that were found in the four source descriptions of each property.

This change has minor consequences for the object property tables.  Here is an example of how the Language Content property table might look (see section 7.1.1 of the Master Document):

  • The common properties used and not used are called out in the top of the table
  • The properties that are used are split into two lists: the required and optional properties
  • If a common property has some difference that is specific to the object type (the grey rows), they remain explicitly in the table
  • Object type specific properties are listed as before (not shown here).

Common Properties Used

Required:

type, spec_version, id, created, modified

Optional:

created_by_ref, revoked, labels, confidence, external_references, object_marking_refs, granular_markings

Common Properties Not Used or Not Defined

lang, id_method, id_method_details, is_defanged, extensions

Property Name

Type

Description

type (required)

string

The type property identifies the type of object. The value of this property MUST be language-content.

We hope you find these changes an improvement to the specification.

                Rich and Bret

                Your Humble Editors

--

Rich Piazza