cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Working Call Recap

I have reviewed the changes highlighted below and added various comments in the doc.

I see that Bret has already accepted many of them.

There is one very major issue we have with a proposed change that would require id_method and id_method_details on EVERY SCO for a producer using a non-default approach for deterministic id generation.

This proposed change would require MASSIVE unnecessary bloat in STIX content as the same exact ~7 lines of JSON would need to be added to every SCO produced. Given the fact that we (and I am sure others) deal with SCOs on the scale of billions this proposed change would make STIX untenable as an option for us.

I would like to propose an alternate approach that I think achieves the intended purpose in a MUCH more efficient and unbloated fashion.

I propose that the id_method and id_method_details properties be added to the Bundle object and would assert the deterministic id method used for content within the bundle.

  • It would support the intended purpose under options 1-3
  • It would be far more efficient in that it would only be necessary to specify it a single time for a Bundle that could contain thousands of SCOs.
  • It would be clear and easy to understand.
  • It would allow us to simplify the language under the identifier section of the spec

Sean Barnum

Principal Architect

FireEye

M: 703.473.8262