cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Re: [EXT] [cti] Recap of Working Call

I would disagree with this assertion.

There are definitely use cases for defining and using markings using STIX that may not have âpre-existingâ formal and explicit external definitions.

Are some defined explicitly externally? Sure, things like TLP are obviously that way.

That does not mean that ALL are.

And it also does not mean that there is not clear value in providing the externally defined explicit descriptions for particular marking definitions as part of the STIX _expression_ of that marking.

The downside is potentially extra text for consumers that donât need it (though marking definitions are not typically heavily duplicated so the impact is minimal).

The upside is improved clarity and understanding for consumers not deeply familiar with the externally defined markings.

I would suggest that the upside heavily outweighs the downside.

I would also suggest we carefully avoid thinking of marking definitions as simply external references. The data marking approach in STIX was very intentionally designed to provide somewhat of a âclosedâ system where when given a set of STIX content you have enough in hand to appropriately understand the content and how to handle it. It was explicitly designed to avoid situations where you got the content but had to try to go somewhere else to figure out how to handle it, often defined in non-machine-processable forms.

Sean Barnum

Principal Architect

FireEye

M: 703.473.8262