cti message

Subject: RE: [cti] Updated Extension Proposal

The reality is that people will always tack their own properties onto the JSON regardless of if it is an official customization mechanism of STIX or not. After all in some environments, simply the process of serializing and deserializing JSON can add fields.

All the fact that we have it in the STIX specification means, is that we are making a clear statement that adding new fields should not cause validation to fail (in JSON-schema parlance, that "additionalProperties" should be left alone at it's default in the schema, which is "true"), and that fields should be preserved during the serialization/deserialization process.

Therefore I do not think we should remove it, although I would say we should definitely water down the language around it , and remove references to "custom properties", instead pointing them at this new mechanism to encourage it.

-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

Co-Chair - Open Cybersecurity Alliance, Project Governing Board
www.opencybersecurityalliance.org

----- Original message -----
From: Paul Patrick <ppatrick@darklight.ai>
Sent by: <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
To: aa tt <atcyber1000@gmail.com>, "masuoka.ryusuke@fujitsu.com" <masuoka.ryusuke@fujitsu.com>
Cc: "cti@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [cti] Updated Extension Proposal
Date: Thu, Aug 6, 2020 12:47 PM

Ryu,

I generally agree with Allan in that I see the STIX Extension proposal as a candidate to replace the way customization of STIX 2.1 is done today.  Like Allan, I too would be supportive of replacing the existing customization mechanism with this proposal but would recommend that the TC deprecate, not remove, the current approach until a future release.

To that end, I believe the section in the spec on Customizing STIX be updated to not only provide guidance on how to use the STIX Extension approach but provide guidance how to use it IN PLACE OF the existing schema.  I can also imagine what an update to STIX Elevator could be to aid in stepping-up from STIX 2.1 to STIX 2.1.1 to make that transition easier for people to move to the new scheme.

Paul Patrick

DarkLight, Inc.