cti message

Subject: Re: [EXT] [cti] STIX2.1 Extension Example - custom properties

Hi Chris,

Thanks Chris.  This is great!!

I think that the ability for you to quickly put this together shows that going from custom properties representation to extension properties representation is relatively trivial.

Here is my comments on your experiment, based on my understanding of the Extension proposal.

  • The extension object you have for Option 1 contains the property "extension_properties".  The spec currently says that you only use that property for top level property extensions.  Iâm not sure why that is.  We should probably put in some text into the spec explaining âwhyâ.
  • Top-level property extensions are there for backward compatibility.  The spec indicates that the other type of property extensions is preferred. I know you mention that Option 2 makes your RESTful API more straightforward, but I think you could probably do the processing you did in the client code as a subroutine that the RESTful API calls â making the use of either extension property method invisible.  Of course, I donât know what your API looks like 😊
  • I donât see any advantage to Option 3, but maybe others will

Rich P.

--

Rich Piazza

Lead Cyber Security Engineer