cti message

Subject: RE: [cti] [EXT] [cti] STIX 2.1 Extension Examples

Thank you, Allan.

I would hope that this group may be willing to take a lead in promoting consistent naming by recommending the use of vendor Legal Name for the vendor property, to put a stake in the ground which others would, hopefully follow.

https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/security-content-automation-protocol/specifications/cpe/name-matching

https://www.ntia.gov/files/ntia/publications/framingsbom_20191112.pdf

Which would the propagate into the NVD/CPE CVE data element: cpe23Uri

i.e. "cpe:2.3:a:cherokee-project:cherokee:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*"

Then all data stores could be aligned with the same vendor legal name data; eliminating the inconsistencies identified in the cited paper.

Coordination among bodies OASIS, NTIA and NIST is key to achieving broad adoption of standard nomenclatures for items such as vendor names, product names within the CPE/SBOM/STIX/CVE domains. If we could just start with agreeing on vendor name standards, that would address some of the identified problems.