cti message

Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] [cti] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti] Sightings of Observables with Descriptions

Sorry for some reason I hadnât received Janeâs email. I ended up following Marlonâs suggestion to use the Note SDO and relating it to the SCOs I wanted to describe. In this case it was it was providing additional context for a lot of sensor data that I didnât want to more strongly assert a relationship between.

Since most objects in our system allow for descriptions (including SCO instances) this let me craft a fairly quick rule to pull notes into descriptions for object instances. In this case things like adding a Note to an IP saying that it was observed performing a port scan, or that a particular bit of netflow was captured from a sensor.

I was debating having the sensor communicating with some other mechanism, but simply using a Note to provide a description ended up giving the cleanest option within our system for the time being. Iâve attached an example of a single entry made using fake data. Ultimately no extensions or custom objects were needed on the STIX side.

//SIGNED//

Jeffrey Mates, Civ DC3/TSD

Computer Scientist

Technical Solutions Development