cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] Preservation of STIX

Re: âIf we could go back in timeââ

     Ahhhhhhâthere you go raising âTimestamp Precisionâ again?

Please note and emphasize Smiley-Face:

  •   😉

Patrick Maroney
Principal - Cybersecurity
Chief Security Office
Office: 732.615.5287 | Cell: 609.678.5613 |
Email: rx118r@att.com

From: cti@lists.oasis-open.org <cti@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Bret Jordan <bj@ctin.us>
Date: Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:07 PM
To: Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Cc: cti@lists.oasis-open.org <cti@lists.oasis-open.org>, Marlon Taylor <Marlon.Taylor@cisa.dhs.gov>

This issue has been discussed at length over and over. The consensus of the TC is with the text as it is written. From a level of specificity the versioning rules are general and apply to all of STIX object. However, there is a caveat and _additional_ clarification that was given to Custom Properties. That text was well understood, the ramification of it well understood, and what it meant was well understood and debated. This is how standards are written. Broad rules that cover everything and when needed specific sometimes other rules are given for very specific purposes. That was the case here.

It is also important to note that there was a very small and very vocal minority of people that disagreed with that decision that was made by the TC ever so long ago. But the majority made a decision and it has been in the document for a long time, early early on in STIX 2.0.

There are all kinds of issues in STIX that various people, even myself, do not like. If we could go back in time, I am sure we would change some of them. But that is the nature of consensus and community built things.

Bret