cti message

Subject: Summary of the process for submitting STIX/TAXII to the ITU

Hi everyone,

I saw the discussion you are having about submitting STIX and TAXII to the ITU-T. The merits of that action and the decision to do so are, of course, up to all of you. I thought it might help if I provide a quick overview of the process itself.

You can find all this written up in the Liaison Policy at https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/liaison/#submitwork

Briefly:

- The work must be an OASIS Standard.

- The receiving organization must be an appropriate de jure standards authority.

- To start the process, the TC prepares a submission request using the template we will provide. You can find the contents of the request detailed in the policy. Note, in particular, that it includes a description of the plan for versioning and maintenance of the standard. This is where we usually specify that maintenance of the work remains in the hands of the TC. The exact licensing requirements may depend on which standards authority is receiving the submission.

You can see an example of a submission request attached to this message: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/201908/msg00015.html

- We then hold a Special Majority Vote for you to approve submitting the request to the OASIS President (Board chair Gershon Janssen or the new ED). The President and our staff will have 15 days to review it after which, if there are no obstacles or issues that require clarification, we will circulate it to the OASIS membership for a 30-day call for comment.

- After the call for comment period closes, the President will have up to 15 days to approve or reject the submission. He will send a notice of his decision to the TC and the membership.

- 15 days following the announcement of his decision, the President will transmit the submission to the receiving organization and commit OASIS to the submission process.

Also note: the policy requires that OASIS continues to publish its own version of the standard, freely available on the OASIS site.

That's about it: you draft and approve the submission request; we take it from there. As always, we are available to help along the way.

Please feel free to send me any questions you have on this process.

Best regards,

/chetÂ

--

ChetÂEnsign