cti message

Subject: STIX Incident Extension Rework - Naming Fun

For anyone who hasn't been tracking the ongoing work on the 2.0 version of
the Incident extension we are now looking to break it into three separate
extensions.  One of which we are seeker broader input before we decide what
to name it.  These extension are:

1. Incident Core - A property extension on the Incident SDO
2. Impact - An SDO extension
3. Unnamed - An SDO extension that has been created by moving the Attacker
and Defender activities from the 1.0 Incident Core into its own SDO.
Currently there are several proposed names for it as well as its current
placeholder.

Names:

1. incident-activity: The current placeholder, but it's possible to have one
of these SDOs without an incident so it seems too specific
2. activity: Does this risk overlap or confusion with other areas?
3. event: Concerns were raised that this language biases against recorder
defender actions.
4. action: Reasonably neutral, but we do have some deviations from the
unified cyber ontology's actions.  These are fairly minor however.

The current documentation for the as of yet not properly named SDO can be
found on GitHub
https://github.com/dod-cyber-crime-center/cti-stix-common-objects/blob/incid
ent_rework/extension-definition-specifications/incident-activity/Incident%20
Activity%20Extension.adoc.  Incidents can store an ordered list of these.

This branch also has information about the Incident Core and Impact
extensions if you want to go up a folder to see how they connect to each
other.

//SIGNED//

Jeffrey Mates, Civ DC3/TSD
Computer Scientist