cti message

Subject: Draft Notes from Stix working group call June 9, 2023

Please review and provide any corrections or feedback before we finalize the notes from the meeting below.

DRAFT NOTES June 9, 2023 – 9am Eastern

  1. Jeffrey Mates got all the hyperlinks working in the document. Incident core extension version.

  1. We pointed out there is more than one incident type that works (e.g., indicator & attack pattern). Consensus is to keep both and add some descriptions for the consumer.

  1. We went through Wakand Int’l Expo Breach hypo

  1. Some expressed they are in favor of custom Attack patterns as a way to flag potential gaps. We will try to also add Kill chain as appropriate.

  1. Subevents are used to show component relations

  1. We looked at incident indicators

  1. Embedded vs External – we want to strive for consistency; we are not preventing eternal relationships and it could be done differently with different results. We want to provide guideance on what to use and document use cases for external relationships.

  1. Jeff is putting the technical event flow into Stix for next week

  1. Questions came up on how to convert from MISP to Stix and back.  Is it possible to have a generic approach? Transforming events and incidents. We will look at specifics and then more of a deep dive into usage and objects.

Jonathan Matkowsky
he/him

Principal Researcher
Microsoft Security