cxs message

Subject: Call for Participation: OASIS Context Server (CXS) Technical Committee

OASIS members & interested parties,

A new OASIS technical committee is being formed. The OASIS Context Server (CXS) Technical Committee (TC) has been proposed by the members of OASIS listed in the charter below. The TC name, statement of purpose, scope, list of deliverables, audience, IPR mode and language specified in the proposal will constitute the TC's official charter. Submissions of technology for consideration by the TC, and the beginning of technical discussions, may occur no sooner than the TC's first meeting.

The eligibility requirements for becoming a participant in the TC at the first meeting are:

(a) you must be an employee or designee of an OASIS member organization or an individual member of OASIS, and

(b) you must join the Technical Committee, which members may do by using the Roster "join group" link on the TC's web page at [a].

To be considered a voting member at the first meeting:

(a) you must join the Technical Committee at least 7 days prior to the first meeting (on or before 23 April 2015; and

(b) you must attend the first meeting of the TC, at the time and date fixed below (29 April 2015).

Participants also may join the TC at a later time. OASIS and the TC welcomes all interested parties.

Non-OASIS members who wish to participate may contact us about joining OASIS [b]. In addition, the public may access the information resources maintained for each TC: a mail list archive, document repository and public comments facility, which will be linked from the TC's public home page at [c].

Please feel free to forward this announcement to any other appropriate lists. OASIS is an open standards organization; we encourage your participation.

----------

[a] https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cxs/

[b] See http://www.oasis-open.org/join/

[c] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/cxs/

----------

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

OASIS OASIS Context Server (CXS) Technical Committee Charter

The charter for this TC is as follows.

TC Formation Proposal - OASIS Context Server (CXS)

Section 1: Charter

(1)(a) TC Name

OASIS Context Server (CXS) Technical Committee

(1)(b) Statement of Purpose

The purpose of the TC will be to create specifications for a Context Server as a core technology for enabling the delivery of personalized digital experiences. Organizations currently struggle to create and deliver consistent personalized experiences across channels, markets, and systems. The Context Server will simplify management, integration, and interoperability between solutions providing services like Web Content Management, CRM, BigData, Machine Learning, Digital Marketing, and Data Management Platforms.

The benefits for end users include more personalized and relevant user experiences as well as more control over aggregated collected data.

The benefits for organizations include simpler ways to setup, aggregate, and use the collected data associated with their audiences.

A clear and defined standard for personalization will also support growth of the broader  market by making it easier for established and new players to ramp up new products, integrate with existing systems, and grow niche opportunities into new market areas.

The TC shall also work in a forward looking manner to identify features that are useful but not available in existing systems. It is a goal to use existing systems as a point of reference but not be limited by them.

(1)(c) Scope

The TC will accept as input the following initial contributions:

    1. “Context Server proposal” contributed by Jahia and Enonic, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YKwDyJaouKzzN3SqSa4DYZiEvgJmGkZVN-yyUG0uDVI/edit?usp=sharing
    2. An externally hosted (under an Apache License) open source reference implementation: “Project Unomi : Open Source Context Server prototype implementation” contributed by Jahia, https://github.com/Jahia/unomi

The TC will further accept input from various vendors' existing interfaces and domain models, and other contributions for consideration without any prejudice or restrictions. These inputs will be evaluated based on technical merit insofar as they conform to the TC charter.

For the initial set of deliverables, the TC will target a very focused set of use cases related to delivering personalized user experiences. Through the introduction of a “context server”,  personalization can be delivered in a simple and interoperable manner. A standard approach to personalization will speed up vendor innovation and reduce integration costs for customers.

Example use cases:

  * Enable collection and aggregation of user behavioral data into profiles
  * Enable user segment definitions (i.e., based on demographics) to identify sets of profiles
  * Enable third party systems (WCM etc.)  to tag and serve content based on segments
  * Allow marketing systems to access profiles and compile lists for campaigns
  * Allow users to access the context server to exercise control over their collected data (user privacy)
  * Deliver product recommendations based on user behavior collected by the context server

The TC shall also support the effort of producing reference implementations and test suites that validate the specifications; all such deliverables will be implemented as community open source projects.

The TC will focus on producing the required deliverables such as a detailed list of use cases, a domain model, a REST API, as well as a reference implementation.

The following use cases, while not planned for completion in the initial set of deliverables, may be considered at a later time:

  * Entitlement and Access Control
  * Graphical User Interfaces

(1)(d) Deliverables

The initial set of deliverables will include:

1. Context Server specification (2015 projected completion date) that includes:
   1. Use cases
   2. Domain Model
   3. Rest API

2. Open Source Reference Implementation (2015 projected completion date)
The reference implementation will serve as a real world example of how the standard can be used. It will deliver all the basic capabilities defined; it might also include other non-specified features such as security and clustering.

(1)(e) IPR Mode

The IPR mode for the TC will be Non-Assertion Mode ( https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr#s10.3 ).

(1)(f) Audience

The primary audience for the final output of this TC includes architects from WCM, CRM, Digital Marketing Solutions, Data Management Platforms, Machine Learning and Big Data System vendors and implementers, as well as system architects from organizations that create Customer/Web/User or Digital Experiences.

(1)(g) Language

The language in which the TC will conduct business: English

Section 2: Additional Information

(2)(a) Identification of Similar Work

   * W3C “Customer Experience Digital Data Acquisition proposal” : http://www.w3.org/community/custexpdata/ . As of 2014-10, the specification draft is still quite young (v 0.5); it specifies mostly a _javascript_ Data model for storing (mostly e-commerce) context data inside browser objects. Clearly there is some overlap with what we are trying to achieve, so we would plan to approach them to see how we may help each other so as not to duplicate efforts.

   * Data Management Platforms (DMP ,http://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/data-management-platform-DMP) as a class are technically close to the concept of the context server. Many products define themselves as DMPs but (to our knowledge) no official standard has been established. The work produced in this TC could be beneficial to DMP product designs.

(2)(b) First TC Meeting

We propose a face to face kickoff meeting, to be held April 29-30th 2015 in Paris.

It will be held here:
    Espace Vinci
    25 rue des Jeûneurs
    75002 Paris
    France
    http://www.uk.formeret.fr/location_salle_espace_vinci_en.html

Hotel recommendations and detailed agenda will be posted on the mailing list.

Face to face sponsoring will be provided jointly by Enonic and Jahia

(2)(c) Ongoing Meeting Schedule

Split into Workgroups with designated tasks
* Frequent meetings for workgroups (weekly)
* Regular formal TC meetings (3-4 weeks)

(2)(d) TC Proposers

Serge Huber, shuber@jahia.com, Jahia Solutions Group
Thomas Draier, tdraier@jahia.com, Jahia Solutions Group
Chris Laprun, claprun@jahia.com, Jahia Solutions Group
Thomas Lund Sigdestad, tsi@enonic.com, Enonic
Runar Myklebust, rmy@enonic.com, Enonic
Sten Roger Sandvik - srs@enonic.com, Enonic
Julio Camarero, julio.camarero@liferay.com, Liferay
Arje Cahn, Hippo, a.cahn@onehippo.com, Hippo B.V.
Ate Douma, Hippo, a.douma@onehippo.com, Hippo B.V.
Frank van Lankvelt, Hippo, f.vanlankvelt@onehippo.com, Hippo B.V.

(2)(e) Primary Representatives' Support

Thomas Sigdestad, tsi@enonic.com, Enonic: "Enonic supports the OASIS CXS TC charter. We see CXS standard as a major step in commoditizing real-time personalized digital experiences - Leading the CXS TC proposal and major contributor to the work - we see CXS is a pillar in the future of our company"

Serge Huber, shuber@jahia.com, Jahia Solutions Group: "Jahia supports the OASIS CXS TC charter. We strongly believe that as User Experience is becoming a key success factor in the industry and a critical infrastructure for Enterprises. This is the reason why standardization and open source commoditization are needed and we are focused on making this a reality through this new Context Server proposal. Leading the CXS TC proposal, we are submitting the initial specification document as well as the open source implementation and we will support CXS in our product line. "

James Falkner, james.falkner@liferay.com, Liferay: "Liferay supports the OASIS CXS TC charter. We believe that being able to provide a unique experience to users based on their context will be a key part in our vision as a platform. As a proposer, we see the context server as a very promising solution to achieve interconnection of different services and providers between different platforms."

Arje Cahn, Hippo, a.cahn@onehippo.com, Hippo B.V., the company behind Hippo CMS, supports the OASIS CXS TC charter. The ability to bring together different streams of visitor data from disparate systems using a standardized API is part of our vision for a more contextualized web experience. We intend to support CXS in our Hippo CMS product line.

(2)(f) TC Convener

Serge Huber, Jahia Solutions, http://www.jahia.com, shuber@jahia.com

(2)(g) OASIS Member Section

The CXS TC does not intend to seek affiliation with any OASIS Member Section.

(2)(h) Anticipated Contributions

    1. “Context Server proposal” contributed by Jahia and Enonic: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YKwDyJaouKzzN3SqSa4DYZiEvgJmGkZVN-yyUG0uDVI/edit?usp=sharing

    2. An externally hosted (under an Apache License) open source reference implementation : “Project Unomi : Open Source Context Server prototype implementation” contributed by Jahia: https://github.com/Jahia/unomi

(2)(i) FAQ Document

None at this time

(2)(j) Work Product Titles and Acronyms

We propose “Context Server” as the Work Product title and CXS as the acronym for “ConteXt Server”.

--

/chet   [§]

Primary: +1 973-996-2298
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393