cyber-council message

Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] [cyber-council] Cyber Council 'voting'

Hi Duncan,
	I'd like to see this group be the voice of users of cyber standards developed by the other TC's; I think that is our unique niche within OASIS. I realize that some of our vendor members are also users, but I think it's best if we maintain a clean perspective that isn't driven by marketing pressures. Because of that, I'd like to see the voting be restricted to non-vendors. I do think discussions (and contributions to council documents) should be completely open and all points of view should be considered. But when we put something forward from the council it should be purely from a user perspective.

Mike Boyle
Special Assistant for Standards to the
Deputy National Manager for National Security Systems

-----Original Message-----
From: cyber-council@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:cyber-council@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of duncan@sfractal.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 1:54 PM
To: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>; cyber-council@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Robin Cover <robin@oasis-open.org>; Carol Geyer <carol.geyer@oasis-open.org>

Chet,
I still thought the council would have the ability to make decisions, particularly with respect to giving input to TC's. I also thought from the discussion at Borderless Cyber in NYC that this council might create use cases to be addressed by other TC's (either because they saw a gap or to provide prioritization and focus on what is of greatest need in the user community). Ie there would be documents even if they weren't OASIS standards.

How is decision making done if there are not voting members? Note I'm fine with everyone being a voting member (ie if you are there, you can vote and we don't have the "lose you vote if you missed two meetings") but that would still make us all voting members. There was alot of discussion in NYC about trying to meet the spirit of users having a greater say than vendors in this council. That also probably needs to be discussed with respect to how it affects decision making.

Other members of the mailing list,
What are your thoughts on what comes out of this group and how decision making is done by the group?

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting LLC
iPhone, iTypo, iApologize