cyber-council message

Subject: Why you should attend Nov-6 meeting

The primary purpose of this email is to encourage you to attend the next
Cyber Standards Council meeting on November 6th
(https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cyber-council/event.php?event_id=45939)
where Sounil Yu (SVP at Bank of America, CoChair of OpenC2 TC) will be
updating the Users Council on the work on OpenC2.

Why attend the meeting and learn about OpenC2? Sounil will make the case
better than I, but I will provide a teaser. At IACD Community Day in
2016, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab presented their
findings on adopting IACD automation including OpenC2. Attached is their
slide. The original is at
https://secwww.jhuapl.edu/IACD/Resources/Community_Day/03_23_2017/IACD_CommDay_23March17_APL.pdf
(slide 24) and is rather busy so I’ve magnified what I consider three
very important findings:
- a five order of magnitude increase in triage capacity
    + i.e. computers scale better than humans
- a two order of magnitude increase in mitigating indicators
    + i.e. SOC analysts can now get to everything not just the ‘top
priority’
- a two order of magnitude decrease in the time to complete mitigations
    + i.e. the attackers were kicked out much much sooner, reducing the
damage they could do

It’s these orders-of-magnitude improvements we need to level the
playing field with the attackers.

Find our more by attending 6-Nov Standards User Council.

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting LLC
iPhone, iTypo, iApologize