dcml-appserv message

Subject: RE: [dcml-appserv] Datacenter Service Hierarchy

The hierarchy should also capture middleware services. Obviously, terminal services and MetaFrame presentation server should be a modeled layer. I'm also a member of the OASIS WSRP TC and Portlets as well as their producer & consumer services are another form of user facing presentation services.

Regards,

Andre

Andre Kramer,

Citrix Systems, Inc.

From: Thomas, Darrel [mailto:darrel.thomas@eds.com]
Sent: 20 December 2004 02:38
To: 'Mark Darbyshire'; Barak Perlman; dcml-appserv@lists.oasis-open.org

hello Barak/Mark,

I think we're on the same page with the hierarchy, I'd like to see it in diagrammed form with definitions, as we were attempting to do such at our last DCML.org mtg.  I believe that Industry Services are directly pointed at vertical business sectors that are repeatable in their domain (I.e., Healthcare, Travel and Transportation, Government, Security & Privacy, Manufacturing, Automotive, etc.).  These in turn are decomposed into Business Process Services, then decomposed to IT Services (or App/Web Services) to IT Services, to Resources/ManagedElements.

Another thought would be to look at the ITIL aspects as parts of the Framework section of DCML, which is where the management oversight happens that would govern inputs from Apps/Services.  I'd like to see other opinions here...

So, would Printing and Directory Services be considered foundational IT Services?  Likely.  how about AAA, or IT domain Services, such as Network IP Services, or Storage compositive services (on TOP of a storage resource, SAN, port, IP address, etc.).

we should enumerate a comprehensive list to to the hierarchy correctly...

jDT

BTW, I also believe that we should leave human resources out of the work right now - we're trying to discern the electronics ready aspects of DCML.  the human aspects are the dynamics that inhibit the standardization, but must be factored in their relationships to managed things in the environment that DCML articulates.