dcml-appserv message

Subject: RE: [dcml-appserv] Postponed: DCML TC teleconference 11/22/05

Remember back a few years when Oregon and Seattle made the bold moves to Open Source as the mandated productivity tool in state government?

It’s our turn now, and the stars are OASIS, IETF and the W3C.

OASIS is the Massachusetts Enterprise Standard!

“The Enterprise Technical Reference Model (ETRM) v3.5 effective September 21, 2005 incorporates a new Discipline for Data Formats within the Information Domain.  This Discipline addresses the acceptable formats in which data can be presented and captured.  All other Domains and Disciplines remain unchanged.  The Introduction and Domains are available in separate documents for viewing and download.” http://www.mass.gov/portal/index.jsp?pageID=mg2homepage&L=1&L0=Home&sid=massgov2

Office is feeling the heat

Microsoft to open Office document format

This is out of Computerworld. Om writing by Taylor and Montelbano

Microsoft said it would submit its Office Open XML document format technology to the International Standards Organization (ISO) to be adopted as an international standard in time for the launch of the next version of its Office software suite, code-named Office 12.

The development comes as a group of technology rivals led by IBM and Sun Microsystems Inc. is mobilizing a global effort to push the OASIS consortium's Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) as a global standard format for these kinds of documents. The effort was spurred in part by a highly publicized proposal in Massachusetts requiring compliance with OpenDocument for government documents, which would mean the phasing out of Microsoft Office and its proprietary format (see "U.S. state finalizes plans to phase out Office").

This is definitely cause, a group wide happy dance!

I’m sure there is much more where this came from.

(quotations do not imply my writing.  I just wanted to be sure everyone sees that security, audit, and development are all needing to read this.)

Robin Basham, M.Ed., M.IT, CISA, ITSM
President and Founder, Phoenix Business & Systems Process, Inc.
120 Central Avenue – Needham, MA 02494, USA
Phone (781) 400-1449 * Fax (781) 400-1443 * Mobile (617) 947-3405