dcml-frame message

Subject: RE: [dcml-frame] Re: Meeting times

Tim, et al,

In our discussion today, there were concerns about getting
greater participation in this effort.  I expressed a view
that the current framework and approach appear to be quite
abstract and removed from having a meaningful impact on
products and purchasers.  As a result, there may not be
business cases for investing in this effort as there is
no imminent threat or window of opportunity.

The approach of starting with an ontology seems to me to
reinforce this perception.  An ontology for the data center
or information services domain could take forever.  The
ontology, per se, will not solve the problem of achieving
interoperability between particular tools.  That will require
well-defined and explicit specifications of XML schema.

While an ontology can help ensure the consistency of
specifications across a substantial domain, the ontology
must be a means to an end, where the end is a set of XML
schema that achieve interoperability between tools for various
purposes.  While an ontology may support some sophisticated
forms of inference and analysis, much of what is needed today
is much more mundane.  Also, the purpose of the standard
should not be to support implementations of tools, but rather
to enable tools to talk to each other and at the same time
enable vendors to differentiate their products with
implementations that provide desirable capabilities.

I suggest that the ontology be viewed as the mechanism for
ensuring that we speak the same langauge, but that the focus
of attention turn to defining XML schema for exchange of data
for particular purposes.  The ontology can help ensure that
the concepts and relationships are consistent across multiple
schema.  The development of the ontology should be driven by
efforts to solve particular problems.  The XML schema should
be specific views (a.k.a, abstractions) of the ontology.

We need to be working on a spec that will impact the marketplace
within the next year--a solution to a specific business problem.
That will spark market interest and prime the pump to get
involvement in longer term efforts.

Fred Cummins
EDS