dcml-frame message

Subject: RE: [dcml-frame] Meeting info

Andre,

See my comments, below.

Fred

While I appreciate the potential power of ontologies, particularly
for classifaction and search of information on the web, I see a need
for a practical and proven approach to the development of DCML
standards and the systems that will support them.

> I agree we could define such a single model, or leverage one
> of several
> existing standards, but a framework based on ontologies would
> be able to
> handle more than one such language - opening the door to others.

There is no need to handle more than one language--UML is widely
accepted, tools are readily available, and there is a large community
of people who understand it.

> Which leads me to the question that I think the first action requested
> answered. Exactly how is UML to be used here? XMI (and MOF)
> seems to be
> overly sophisticated (express general "programming" OO
> models) and if we
> (or others sub-set UML encoded as XML) don't we just invent our own
> language?

XMI and MOF come with UML for the sharing/exchange of models.  Modeling
tools understand it.  That does not mean that XMI should be used for
DCML.  XMI has a specific purpose--exchange of models.

Of course it could be argued that DCML will model the data center.  But
any object-oriented application "models" the subject domain.  There
is overhead in a robust modeling environment that is not appropriate
for production applications and data exchange.

> This, I claim, would not be too different to the "Class, SubClassOf,
> instanceOf, Property" language I mentioned in the proposal.
> But I would not force all user of DCML to use this exact modeling
> approach (not very rich).

The common data model is for the purpose of achieving consistency in
the various standards produced under the DCML umbrella.  The standard
that users of DCML will use is the XML specification that defines the
form for exchange of data for particular purposes.  If these specifications
are not well documented, then there may be a need to refer to the model.
Furthermore, most users of DCML will never see the DCML, but will use
it implicitly to integrate the services that run their data centers.

> On the other hand, if we have a concrete single proposal for a data
> center modeling language based on reuse of an existing management
> standard then DCML as framework may also be in danger of too much
> overlap with the existing std (if it is to be the only one supported).

This sounds like you are suggesting a different approach so that an
overlap with other standards is obscured.  I think it is important to
make overlaps evident and resolve them.  If you are suggesting that there
might be a problem defining the bounds of DCML, I think the problem will
be much greater if you are trying to start with an ontology.