dcml-frame message

Subject: RE: [dcml-frame] Meeting info

Andre,

I'm afraid I don't understand your classifications.

1) there is a need for the DCML contributors to have
a common data model on which to base the DCML specifications.
This is a tool for the development of the specifications,
and the data model or segments of it could provide documentation
for the associated XML specifications.  This is the only
use I am recommending for UML and XMI.  XMI would be only
for exchange of these models between UML tools.

2) There is a need to specify the DCML documents/messages
exchanged for particular purposes.  This is a combination
of XML schema with text and examples.

3) There will be applications/services that consume or produce
the DCML messages.  The design of these is not part of the
DCML specifications except to define their interfaces
(i.e., the operations/requests supported).  These might be viewed
as tools or models, but they are not models for developlng
specifications or designing systems, they are models that
represent aspects of the data center for certain purposes.  Again,
what these applications/services do and the associated interfaces
are probably part of DCML, but how they do it is not (that's the
responsibility of an implementer/vendor).

4) Data about a datacenter may be stored in a repository
(e.g., a CMDB).  This is, in general terms, a database, and like
any database, it could be construed to be a "model" of the
data center.  I suppose there could be a DCML specification for
exporting and importing the entire contents of such a database,
but I don't see that as a particular concern.  What is more
important is that the messages input to this database be defined
in DCML to communicate various events for which the database
should be updated.  The database might support a variety of
queries as databases do, with a standard query language--not
to be defined by DCML.  The common data model would define the
database schema which would also be a composite of all of the
inputs--the inputs must also to be consistent with the data model.

5) There probably should be an architecture model for the data
center that identifies the applications/services that manage and
operate on data center information.  The architecture should
identify these components and their relationships.  The same
or a related model should define the events that cause messages
to be produced or consumed by these components.  This reference
architecture provides a context for the DCML specifications,
but should not be part of the standard since it should be
possible for the architecture to evolve without breaking the
DCML body of standards.  I suppose this could be a UML model
but I'm not particularly concerned about that.

6) It would be possible to define a modeling language (or maybe
multiple modeling languages) for modeling aspects of a data center.
If this is a goal, I would recommend that these be MOF models
(the meta language of UML) to take advantage of the related
technology such as the model transformation language that is
expected to be finalized soon by OMG.  Such models would
be implicitly exchangeable using XMI.  However, I see this
as a different purpose from DCML that I expect to be more
event oriented for monitoring and managing a data center.

Fred