dcml-frame message

Subject: RE: [dcml-frame] Meeting info

Hello Ajay,

We're still in development on our CMDB/CI schema, and I definitely agree
with the mapping exercise.  On our Apps/Services call yesterday, we too are
looking to consider the usage of existing mappings/definitions that have
been created by CIM, and add the necessary layers of
interrelationships/interdependencies that DCML targets in relating
element-to-element->to-ITILprocess-to-ITILprocess->to-Service-to-Service->-t
o-etc.

The big thing is where we start.  We want to make sure we're comprehensive,
but in our initial creations, we can clearly articulate the relationship of
DCML to element management standards such as CIM being implemented in
SMASH/SMIS/etc., and create metadata interfaces that rollup to using ITIL as
the framing for element-to-element according to processes invoked according
to services instantiated according to business requirements at the BP and
Industry layers of IT Services management.  Maybe one of our use cases can
depict the day in the life of a Industry Service run on be half of a corp
(XYZ Corp) that decomposes into the proper processes, elements, CIs/CMDB
usage, etc. that would in turn show the ecosystem of the various standards
(including DCML's proposal to create ITIL dynamics) invoked to operate the
service (and its underlying IT Services) ongoing.  It would seem that the
various elements we want to reference have been pre-created; even the
portions of the app levels (within WSDM, WS-Management, etc.) have provided
metadata for our relationship mapping.  What's missing is the integration to
the operational intelligence that we can deploy to our ITIL strategies.

Have you examined SMASH in-depth?  What's your impression?  What about the
MUWS/MOWS construct of WSDM?  I'm assuming that WSDM is focused on the
manageability of Web Services themselves, not managing through Web Services
interfaces - but, I need to catch up.  Has anyone else on the Framework team
examined both CIM and WSDM and their targets closely?

J. Darrel Thomas
Chief Technologist, Hosting
Electronic Data Systems Corporation
5400 Legacy Drive
Mail Stop H3-5A-34
Plano, Texas  75024
972-797-9695 (Office)
972-679-5943 (Cell)
Darrel.Thomas@EDS.Com (Email)

"Of all the things I've  lost, the one I miss the most is my mind..."

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.