dcml-frame message

Subject: Interface Subgroup - take 2

Hi all. For discussion on our call this morning. As
Fred rightly pointed out, my previous cut at this was
too focused on implementation and didn't mention the
ultimate goal, which is to define the interface. Let
me know if I've struck t he right balance this time.
              -- Tim

The interface subgroup is tasked with defining the
interfaces, protocols, and/or data models and formats
required to implement the processes and requirements
defined by the process subgroup. The process subgroup
defines use cases that (we anticipate) require data
to be exchanged among a set of management entities.
The interface subgroup defines the mechanisms by which
the data is represented and transferred (the DCML
specification).

As part of our effort to reach out to the community
and to validate our work, the interface subgroup will
encourage and facilitate the creation of one or more
freely available open source prototype implementations
of a DCML-based solution to the ITIL configuration
management problem as described by the process subgroup.
The goals of these implementations are to provide:

- a concrete example that furthers people's understanding
   of DCML, how it relates to CIM and other related
   standards, and the problems that it is meant to solve;

- example code that will encourage vendors to create
   their own implementations in products;

- a proving ground for changes to our use cases, the
   technical definition of DCML itself, and the relationship
   between DCML and other standards;

- assurances that the DCML specification is complete
   and robust enough to be independently implemented.

Our deliverables include

- Technical specification(s)

- Technical comparisons to related standards (e.g., CIM)

- Technical requirements document

- Implementation guidelines