devices-discuss message

Subject: Re: [devices-discuss] Web Services For Devices...

Hello Joe,

A few things immediately pop to mind.  Message size which is inter-related
to memory and bandwidth limitations is one concern.  This is further
compounded by XML which is very heavy, compared to packet-based
communication protocols.  There is a need to allow devices and servers to
cooperate and negotiate the maximum message size, as well as the content of
the messages.  Instead of one-message-fits-all, maybe a headless system is
not interested in full blown synopsis but perhaps just the headline for
logging purposes.

Security is paramount; which today is a composite of technologies;
eavesdropping protection, authentication, access, accounting, and
auditing.  Security and provisioning should go hand-in-hand, since the
devices may well be connecting directly into corporate network.

Long term, device-to-device communications will be very exciting, but my
feeling is that manufacturers will get a lot more bang from the market for
device-to-the-server-in-the-sky.  RF-ID tag on pallet interacting with a
forklift or shelf is certainly valuable, but that data is worth much more
being feed into the back office in real-time.

Are people on this list dealing with device security?  Are memory and
bandwidth a concern?  There are a number of devices connecting to back end
systems today.  Are there some people on this list that have experience in
this area they would like to share?  Any recommended software packages for
doing XML / web services messaging?  Is device-to-device or
device-to-server more important to people on this list?  What gets people
excited about web services for devices?

The possibility of devices feeding and digesting meaningful real world data
across the network --- leveraging today's enterprise web services is
exciting to me.  Sprinkler systems that can check a weather report, before
turning on would prevent waste.  Devices that can subscribe to the same
financial services as my PC allow consumers to chose one data provider, one
fee.  Devices that can subscribe across the network to firmware image
updates.  Automated warranty cards and customer care.  None of this is pie
in the sky, it's happening now, maybe in proprietary, inflexible way, but
it is happening.

Regards,
James