dipal-discuss message

Subject: RE: [dipal-discuss] FAQ: what are the basic Assertion functions, and how are they provided?

Perhaps our concepts of Subject were somewhat different and that was
what I was trying to tease out.  I was getting at Policy Subject as a
"Type", indicating where a specific Policy may apply, such as Endpoint,
vs. Subject instance a specific endpoint, service, etc. I may be too
tainted by WS-Policy ;-)

For example, a reliable messaging policy would specify that it will
apply to (as it is currently specified) to an endpoint. Endpoint does
not designate the specific instance, but where the policy may apply.
This applies to example 1 below.

My point was that you may not be able to process the policy if you do
not specifically identify the type of Subject that it applies to,
endpoint, message, etc. and hence there is always a set of permissable
Policy Subjects (Types) when a policy is created. This applies to the
examples that you have given below, too.

The WS-Policy Framework designates a set of Policy Subjects based on
WSDL component model only. I imagine there are probably additional
Policy Subjects that would exist since these set of Subjects are very
WSDL (hence service) centric, but IMO one would always construct
policies with specific set of possible Policy subjects in mind.

Informational policies (those that do not affect the wire protocol
between a client and a service) are included in this as well, such as
your example (3) below. IMO, for this example the Policy Subject is
still an endpoint as it applies to all the message exchanges that a
service exhibits at that endpoint, regardless of this policy is enforced
at the binding or designed as part of the application (hence part of the
implementation of the interface).

> 1) A service interface that will respond to any requester; the policy
> specifies reliable messaging parameters; or a service interface that
> will respond to any requester so long as they supply a public key by
> which the response can be encrypted.
>
> 2) A service interface that will respond to anyone able to present an
> Attribute certificate associated with the IP address of the source
> saying the source is a "Gold" level subscriber.
>
> 3) A service that will respond to any requester so long as
> its own CPU
> is less than 50% utilized.
>
> 4) A service interface where access depends only on the requester's
> "role" Attribute, or only on the time of day and the subject's "age"
> Attribute.
>
> Regards,
> Anne

Hope this explains what I was trying to get at.

Cheers,

--umit