dipal-discuss message

Subject: paper on intersection of XPath expressions

One of the problems that must be solved for any policy language that
supports use of XPath expressions to identify policy vocabulary items is
that the intersection of two XPath expressions is not always computable.
  WS-PolicyConstraints supports such expressions, and defines a very
small subset of XPath for which intersection is computable, but a more
general solution would be helpful; for example, is there a broader set
of XPath expressions for which intersection is efficiently computable.

I just noticed a paper that addresses this problem:
On the Intersection of XPath Expressions, by
Beda Christoph Hammerschmidt, University of Lübeck
Martin Kempa, sd&m AG
Volker Linnemann, University of Lübeck
9th International Database Engineering #38; Application Symposium
(IDEAS'05)    pp. 49-57

Part of abstract:

In this paper we introduce the intersection problem for XPath and give a
motivation for its relevance. We present an efficient intersection
algorithm for XPath expressions without the NOT operator that is based
on finite automata. For expressions that contain the NOT operator the
intersection problem becomes NP-complete leading to exponential
computations in general. With an average case simulation we show that
the NPcompleteness is no significant limitation for most real-world
database operations.

Regards,
Anne
--
Anne H. Anderson               Anne.Anderson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Labs          1-781-442-0928